|“||Why won't you love me?!||”|
— The unsub to Mary Brewer
Extremely little is known about this unsub's past, save that he was the product of a secret relationship between LeeAnne Elgin and Steven Millburn.
What is known is that at some point in his childhood, he was left at Steve Millburn's house by LeeAnne, who ran away from home in an attempt to escape her parents Karl and Dorothy. Sometime after she left, he was taken by Karl, who broke into the Millburn's residence, killed the family and arranged it to look like a murder-suicide.
He would then go on to be raised by the Elgins, who would abduct women who looked similar to LeeAnne to be surrogate mothers to their grandson.
The unsub is first seen abducting Mary Brewer from a parking lot, knocking her out using a crowbar. She is then seen tied to a chair in an abandoned cabin, close to a pond where the Elgins would take LeeAnne and later their victims to go fishing. He cries to her, telling her that he's sad before asking her to sing to him. Mary reluctantly sings him a lullaby, and he leans his head on her shoulder. The next morning, the unsub cooks a plate of eggs and hands them to Mary. When she says she isn't hungry, he explains they aren't for her, and she then realizes that he wants her to feed him. She hand-feeds him a few bites, able to distract him for long enough to grab the cast iron pan he used to cook the eggs and beats him over the head with it. Later on, she manages to escape from her ties, non-fatally stabbing the unsub in the chest before locking herself in one of the cabin's other rooms. However, he tracks her down off-screen before mummifying her and leaving her under the cabin's floorboards. However, the BAU arrives, and Mary is able to survive her attack.
The unsub targeted small brunette women in their 40s who resembled his mother. It is presumed that, after incapacitating them, took them to an isolated cabin and forced them to perform maternal acts, such as spoon-feeding him and singing him lullabies. After several days, he would kill his victims with a blunt instrument and mummify their bodies before disposing of the corpses on the Elgin property.
The unsub is a man with a close connection to Karl and Dorothy Elgin, likely their son, who is not criminally sophisticated, given that he abducts high-risk victims in broad daylight, and may be devolving, making him especially dangerous.
- Unspecified date: Unnamed victim (presumably abducted, held captive, and suffered blunt-force trauma before being mummified alive; her body was left at the cabin and not his grandparents' house)
- 2018, Varnville, South Carolina:
- Unspecified date: June Berkholt (abducted, held captive, and suffered blunt-force trauma before being mummified alive)
- Unspecified date: Amy Sanders (abducted, held captive, and suffered blunt-force trauma before being mummified alive like the previous victim)
- October 9: Mary Brewer (abducted, held captive, and tied up, attempted to mummify alive, was rescued the next day)