The BAU travels to a small Texas community to investigate the murders of children. Meanwhile, Elle is having readjustment issues after being shot, and Hotch becomes worried about her when she misses a mandatory psychological evaluation and isn't answering her cell phone.
- Jarrod Bailey - Simon
- Preston Bailey - Eric
- Martha Boles - Agent Breen
- Sean Bridgers - James Charles
- Chris Conrad - Deputy Mack
- Elle Fanning - Tracy Belle
- Skyler Hudson and Logan Hudson - Nicholas Faye
- Robert Knott - Chief Jones
- Geoffrey Lewis - Coroner
- Noah Matthews - Matthew
- Cameron Monaghan - Jeffrey Charles
- Alina Phelan - Janine
- Bobby Preston - Henry
- Jessenia Quiroz - Emma
- Stacy Reed - Elaine Faye
- Ciro Suarez - Deputy Hall
- "Blue Light of the Flame" by Dar Williams
- Aaron Hotchner: Plato wrote, "We can easily forgive a child who's afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light."
- The name "Sheriff John Bridges" is engraved on a trophy in the Ozona Police Station, a throwback to the character with the exact same name who appeared in the Season One episode "The Popular Kids."
- In a possible hint to the episode "No Way Out," the wind-chimes hanging from Joseph Finnegan's porch roof appear to be made of rib bones.