The BAU is called to investigate the murders of two families in Minnesota, with one person being left alive for both attacks. As the team delves further into the investigation, they discover a startling link between both survivors, which could provide a motive for the killings.
- Tess Aubert - Sam
- Kelli Barksdale - Grace Doherty
- Drew Bell - Mitch Settergren
- Trevor Black - Sheriff Wilson
- Joey Bragg - Kyle Ecklund
- Kaylee Bryant - Amanda Bergstrom
- Shaughn Buchholz - Eric Bakken
- Vishesh Chachra - Dad #1
- Matt Cornett - Austin Settergren
- Romel De Silva - Josh
- Dalton Gray - Matt Doherty
- Heather Hopkins - Female Teen Motorist
- Jacob Houston - Zach Peterson
- Erica Lamkin - Mom #1
- Devan Leos - Ryan
- Christine McLain - Bridget Bergstrom
- Hunter Payton - Kevin Bergstrom
- Lizzie Poncio - Megan
- Jill Whelan - Principal Vicki Dahl
- David Wunderlich - Ron Fergusson
- Spencer Reid: "The malicious have a dark happiness." – Victor Hugo
- Spencer Reid: "Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." – Jean-Paul Sartre
- The episode was originally scheduled to air on November 2, 2016, but it was delayed by a week due to the competing World Series Game 7 event.
- Despite being credited in the opening sequence, Aisha Tyler, the actress who portrays Lewis, doesn't appear in the episode. This is actually the seventh of fifteen episodes in which characters are credited despite not appearing in the episode. The others are:
- Season One
- Season Six
- Season Eleven
- Season Twelve
- Season Thirteen
- "Dust and Bones" - Aisha Lewis is credited even though Lewis doesn't appear.
- "Neon Terror" - Matthew Gray Gubler and Aisha Tyler are credited even though Reid and Lewis don't appear.
- "False Flag" - Matthew Gray Gubler is credited even though Reid doesn't appear.
- "Submerged" - Matthew Gray Gubler is credited even though Reid doesn't appear.
- "All You Can Eat" - Matthew Gray Gubler is credited even though Reid doesn't appear.
- "Mixed Signals" - Matthew Gray Gubler is credited even though Reid doesn't appear.