The M1911 is a single-action, semiautomatic pistol (handgun) chambered for the .45 ACP cartridge designed by the Colt Manufacturing Company.</nowiki>
The M1911 was designed by John M. Browning, and was the standard-issue side arm for the United States armed forces from 1911 to 1985, and is still carried by some U.S. forces. It was widely used in World War I, World War II, the Korean War and the Vietnam War. Its formal designation as of 1940 was Automatic Pistol, Caliber .45, M1911 for the original Model of 1911 or Automatic Pistol, Caliber .45, M1911A1 for the M1911A1, adopted in 1924. The designation changed to Pistol, Caliber .45, Automatic, M1911A1 in the Vietnam era. In total, the United States procured around 2.7 million M1911 and M1911A1 pistols during its service life.
The M1911 is the most well-known of John Browning's designs to use the short recoil principle in its basic design. Besides the pistol being widely copied itself, this operating system rose to become the pre-eminent type of the 20th century and of nearly all modern centerfire pistols.
The Springfield Armory Professional Model is the current sidearm of the FBI's elite Hostage Rescue Team. Agents specially trained in HRT or SWAT, are authorized to carry the Professional Model as their duty pistol, even while not serving in an HRT/SWAT role. David Rossi carries a Professional Model as his duty weapon, indicating he is SWAT or HRT trained.
- Cartridge: .45 ACP
- closed breach
- single action
- Weight: 2lb 7 oz. (1.1 kg.)
- Height: 5.25 in. (133 mm.)
- Length: 8.25 in. (210 mm.)
- Capacity: 7+1 rounds
On Criminal Minds
The following non-criminal characters used M1911s
The following criminals used M1911s in their crimes
- Season One
- Will Sykes ("A Real Rain") - A cop killer and copycat who copied Marvin Doyle and killed a cop with an M1911 after believing him to be a mugger (as he had been the victim of a violent mugging himself).
- Randall Garner ("The Fisher King, Part 1" and "The Fisher King, Part 2") - A budding serial killer, stalker, hacker, one-time abductor, bomber, and one-time proxy killer who shot Elle Greenaway with an M1911 after she broke the "rules" to his 'game'.
- Season Two
- Season Three
- Season Four
- Season Five
- George Foyet ("100") - A prolific and ephebophilic serial killer, brief spree killer, one-time mass murderer, stalker, and one-time cop killer who previously appeared in Season Four who used an M1911 in this episode to torture and kill Sam Kassmeyer for information on Hotch's family and their whereabouts.
- John Vincent Bell ("The Fight") - A prolific serial killer, family annihilator, stalker, abductor, and one-time proxy killer who used an M1911 to force his victims to fight each other to the death, by threatening to kill them and their daughters with it.
- Season Nine
- Tory Chapman ("Pay It Forward") - A vigilante, serial killer, stalker, one-time cop killer, one-time abductor who used an M1911 to kill his victims.
- Tivon Askari ("200") - A prolific and international serial killer, torturer, serial bomber, and abductor who killed his incidental victims with an M1911.
- Michael Hastings ("200") - An international rapist, abductor, and later attempted murderer who used an M1911 during a shootout with the BAU.
- Owen McGregor ("Angels" and "Demons") - A serial killer, proxy killer, gangster, a drug, arms, and human trafficker, one-time cop killer, and one-time copycat who killed his victims with an M1911 and a Beretta 92.
- Justin Mills ("Angels" and "Demons") - A drug trafficker, gangster, attempted murderer, and accomplice of McGregor who used an M1911 and a MAC-10 in a shootout with the BAU.