When JJ and Cruz are abducted, the BAU delves into JJ's time at the U.S. State Department to find clues to their disappearances and uncover a secret mission that now puts their lives in danger. To help with their search to find JJ and Cruz, the team calls upon Prentiss to help in the crisis.
- Mekhai Andersen - Henry LaMontagne
- Brian Appel - Agent Grant Anderson
- Jayne Atkinson - FBI Section Chief Director Erin Strauss (2010)
- Nicholas Brendon - Analyst Kevin Lynch
- Paget Brewster - Emily Prentiss
- Greg Caldwell - Paramedic #1
- Debrah Farentino - Undersecretary Rosemary Jackson
- Gregory Fuller - Building Administrator
- Gina Garcia Sharp - CSU Tech Agent Gina Sharp
- Darrian Lorenzo - Security Guard
- Esai Morales - FBI Section Chief Director Mateo Cruz
- Chervine Namani - Tech Agent
- Tahmoh Penikett - Michael Hastings
- Nicole Shalhoub - Nadia Mubari
- Josh Stewart - Detective William LaMontagne, Jr.
- Faran Tahir - Tivon Askari
- "Blackbird" by Sarah Darling
- Emily Prentiss: "Why would we look to the past in order to prepare for the future? Because there is no where else to look." — James Burke
- Jennifer Jareau: Nietzsche said, "When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks into you."
- This is the second of three episodes that did not feature the traditional opening with the theme music, the first being the series pilot "Extreme Aggressor" and the third being the Season Eleven episode "A Beautiful Disaster."
- This marks the third time in the show's history that the same quote (by Friedrich Nietzsche) was recited:
- Gideon recited the same quote as the ending bookend quote for "Extreme Aggressor", the show's pilot episode.
- Hotch recited a similar version of the quote as the beginning bookend quote for "100", the aptly-named 100th episode of the entire series.
- This is the 5th of 9 episodes in which a non-BAU/ guest cast character, Prentiss, recites a bookend quote. The other episodes are:
- "Tabula Rasa" - Ending bookend quote recited by both Mr. Corbett and Spencer Reid.
- "Coda" - Ending bookend quote recited by Ian Doyle.
- "Lauren" - Ending bookend quote recited by JJ (who was with the State Department at that time)
- "Zugzwang" - Ending bookend quote recited by Maeve Donovan.
- "Beyond Borders" - Ending bookend quote recited by Jack Garrett.
- "Tribute" - Beginning bookend quote recited by Prentiss. (Who was with Interpol at that time)
- "Chameleon" - Beginning (and only) bookend quote recited by Krystall Richards.
- "Family Tree" - Beginning and end bookend quote recited by Everett Lynch.